Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pincer Grasp - Practical Life Activity

Today, I introduced a new practical life exercise: collage. Usually, I let the children use a stick of glue. BUt today, I decided to be a bit more adventurous and to follow the guidelines I have received during the first part of my on-going Montessori training. The idea is to show the child how to transfer glue onto pieces of paper and then place them onto a colourful sheet of paper.




This exercise aims at developing the chidren's hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills. I think this also helps them to practice their spincer grip fo future use when holding a pencil for writing. And of course, I love watching the attention the children put in choosing where to place each piece of paper. Some of them needed to cover the whole sheet, others picked the same colour, and several decided that less was more! Their creativity is unique and this is what I like watching them painting, building, colouring, drawing and in this instance gluing.





1 comment:

  1. This looks great, and you know what? I am so jealous that you can get your children to work slowly and carefully. Sometimes I can get mine to do that, but sometimes they just get so excited it is well nigh impossible to get them to slow down enough to focus on one task for longer than 2 minutes. Today was okay, but yesterday . . .

    not so much.

    Hope you're well and enjoying your Fall. ; )))))

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment right here. Thank you :)